CROSS OF THE HUMILLADERO

It is elevated on a platform of three quadrangular steps, granite rod or smooth, cylindrical column ending in a collar and capital on which rests the Latin cross in the center of which is a square.

This cross, with fewer resources than other similar crosses, achieves a balanced lightness. It is a work of the 17th century

VISIT
CROSSES
10188
927 313 702
ayuntamiento@botija.es

Several crosses are preserved at the entrances of the village, they were the marks of the limits of the population. Although other crosses had other purposes, it seems that those of Botija were erected in the seventeenth century, coinciding with the self-purchase made by the neighbors themselves to the Crown, to be exempted from the jurisdiction of the Villa de Montánchez in 1636.

A procedure by which the people acquired a certain independence; this time, from the City of reference, which exercised a lordship similar to that practiced by counts, dukes and other nobles. However, they were still in the Judicial District of Montánchez and the crimes of justice were held in the town of Montánchez.

The most preserved and slender of the population is known by the name of Cruz del Humilladero.

Humilladeros are open-air places of worship, usually with a cross or a religious image, although they can also be small prayer altars. Here devout Christians could humble themselves, that is, pray before the cross. They were erected mainly at the entrances or exits of towns, or in some cases next to churches or important sanctuaries.

The Cruz del Humilladero is elegant and robust in appearance. Located on the road to Trujillo, it rises on a three-step staircase with a square base. The whole set is made of granite stone, the largest piece is the column, just over two meters, smooth, undecorated. The column is topped by a kind of small collar and capital, where the Latin cross sits. In its center is a square.